Category Archives: auction
Just minutes ago Bonhams sold this remarkable 1949 Aston Martin DB Team Car at their Goodwood Festival of Speed Sale for £679,100 (CA$ 1,210,353) inc. premium.
Aston Martin gave this prototype chassis number LMA/2/49 and registered it as ‘UMC 65’.
This very car raced the 1949 24 Hours of Le Mans and placed seventh overall behind the winning Ferrari 166MM.
It then went on to race the 24 Hours of Spa-Francorchamps, before being sold to Bill Whitehouse for occasional racing in England.
The car was subsequently bought by Christopher Angell in 1965 and stored with him until 2003.
Through 38 years of continuous ownership the Aston was untouched and this is how it was presentated at Goodwood by Bonhams.
The world’s best D-Type is this black example, XKD524, bought by Paul Pfohl in 1956 for $9,925 USD.
Paul raced it at Riverside, Watkins Glen and at the Lake Erie Race in Dunkirk, NY before putting into long term storage in 1967.
It was stored for a remarkable 35 years and stayed with the family until 2003 when it appeared on ebay with the description: This is a rare opportunity to purchase the most unmolested, one family owned D Type in the world and the most unique D Type to be offered since the highly publicized sale of the 1956 LeMans winner in 1999.
A low milage of 6,230 miles from new with all original fit and finishes make this an fantastic and authentic reference car.
We had a great oppurtunity to photograph XKD524 at the 2015 Pebble Beach Concours d’Elegance and Tour d’Elegance.
On the Tour d’Elegance
At Pebble Beach Concours d’Elegance
Details of XKD524
Paul Pfohl’s racing days and original reciept
The XK120 roadster was Jaguar’s first XK-engined sports cars and the first versions are particularly coveted as they have all-aluminum bodies.
RMSotheby’s will be offering such a car at their Monaco sale on May 14th.
They describe it as:
“According to its Jaguar Daimler Heritage Trust certificate, this particular alloy-bodied example was produced on 6 February 1950, finished in Pastel Blue with a “Duo-Blue” interior and a Fawn soft top. It was destined for California and imported through Charles Hornburg’s Los Angeles-based distributorship, dispatched from the factory on 22 February 1950. The car was purchased that same year by John Edgar, a noted racer living in Los Angeles at the time. It is believed that in June of 1950, the XK 120 was driven by Bill Pollack, who often drove cars entered by Edgar, in the Santa Ana Road Race, and it may have competed in other events around the same time in California.
Unfortunately, the car’s early history remains unknown, at least until it was purchased by the late Jaguar collector Walter Hill. Hill purchased the car from George Boyd in 1976 (along with a C-Type and D-Type) and proceeded to keep the car in his ownership for the next 33 years. Looking to make it one of the finest examples at the time, Hill had the car fully restored to its original specifications in the early 1990s. Following the completion, he showed the car at Jaguar Club of America concours events, and it was consistently rewarded with scores of over 99 points—even attaining a score of 99.98 in June of 2005. The car remained well preserved and maintained until his passing. The XK 120 was then purchased by the renowned enthusiast Arturo Keller, who kept the car until 2013, when it was acquired by the current German collector.
Despite the car’s older restoration, it still presents very well today in its original and eye-catching shade of Pastel Blue. Eligible for a variety of historic events and considered by many to be one of the finest Jaguars ever built, owning an XK 120 is a goal of many enthusiasts. Sitting firmly at the top of the pecking order, the early aluminium-bodied XK 120s are undoubtedly the most desirable iteration of the model and as such, an opportunity to purchase a well-restored and regularly maintained example should not be overlooked. “
Images by the talented Tom Gidden ©2016 Courtesy of RM Sotheby’s.
“instead of getting it fixed he (the owner) put the car into storage in a lock up until the 1980s, he then moved it to his garden where is remained under a tarpaulin until the present vendor rescued it in 2015”
Leaving collector cars out to rot usually never ends in a good story.
That is unless it’s an early 3.8 FHC Jaguar and the value has recently skyrocketed.
Coys and the owner of this E-Type stand to profit from this storage misadventure by offering chassis number 861107 at their 2016 Spring Classics event.
Coy’s says the car’s fourth owner Frank Riches “raced both the E-Type and his MGTF at Oulton Park, Brands Hatch and Blackbushe between 1967 and 1969. Frank would drive the E-type to the circuit with the MG behind and would then race both cars and drive home! “
They also describe the condition “This wonderful “Barn Find” car is in original condition, with matching numbers and has never been restored. It retains all the features it carried in 1969 and is possibly one of the most original examples remaining today. The interior could be restored given it has all the original switches, gauges and tooled aluminium panels along with the original steering wheel etc. The seats have a lovely patina and should be saved. Obviously the car needs a total restoration but it has all the ingredients to make a superb example – this is a true rarity!”
It will be offered at Monday 7th March at the Coys Spring Classic Sale.
*** Update: sold for £62,000***
*** Update: fully restored and offered by
1963 Jaguar E-Type FHC 861107
1963 Jaguar E-Type FHC 861107
1963 Jaguar E-Type FHC 861107
This 1932 MG F-Type Magna will be offered by Rm Sotheby’s at their upcoming sale at Amelia Island on Saturday, March 12, 2016.
Is it one of the rare six-cylinder models and outfitted with a supercharger in front of the car.
The F-Type cylinder MGs were produced for two years with a production of 1250 cars.
The example offered here, chassis number F0700, was originally built with bodywork by Jarvis of Wimbledon and used as that coachbuilder’s company demonstrator, as featured in the April 1932 issue of The Light Car magazine. In the 1960s, it was beautifully rebuilt to the most desirable F2 specification, including installation of a period-correct aftermarket Arnott supercharger. Some three decades later, in the 18-year ownership of Tom Metcalf of Mansfield, Ohio, it was fully restored, reportedly using only U.K.-sourced authentic parts, a restoration which still presents very beautifully today, with little wear since. It was subsequently displayed at the Amelia Island Concours d’Elegance.
The gleaming Saratoga Red bodywork contrasts beautifully with excellent brightwork, painted wire wheels, and a folding windscreen, accompanied by dual Brooklands racing screens. The leather-trimmed cockpit is complete with dual bucket seats and a machine-turned dashboard, with instruments housed within octagonal bezels. Overall, the appearance is clean, well maintained, and still of excellent quality throughout; the car is an attractive little jewel.
Images by Greg Keysar ©2016 Courtesy of RM Sotheby’s